Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Your First Day of Grade 1

Katherine, today was your first day of grade 1… wow you’re my big “little girl” now!

We spent a fabulous summer together filled with adventures and a big 3-week trip to Germany. During our trip you experienced a lot of German traditions and you learned about a very special custom, one that you really wanted to be part of: the “Schultüte”… a special cone that’s given to a child on the first day of first grade in Germany, filled with treats, school supplies and toys. I grew up with this custom, and so did your daddy and I had planned for a long time already to carry this tradition forward on your first day of first grade. But even with travelling to Germany this summer, brining one of the ready-made cones back was just not feasible as it was too large & bulky for our luggage. But I did have a chance to have a close look at the ones in Germany, so when we returned I started a little craft project and made you your very own Schultüte and filled with with German chocolates, toys, pencils and erasers… and surprised you with it on the morning of the first school day.

As we took photos of you with your Schultüte, I realized that it was almost bigger than you (that wasn’t planned, but can happen when a mommy works on a surprise project late nights with no kid as size comparison). The smile on your face and sparkle in your eyes was priceless - what a perfect start to your first grade school year!

In Germany we have a saying that “mit der 1. Klasse beginnt der Ernst des Lebens” (that translates to „in first grade begins the seriousness of life“. I have heard this lots during our trip and I have to admit, I don’t agree with that statement – first grade should be about discovering learning and having fun with it. Dropping you off at school this morning – your face was beaming with excitement… and picking you up at the end of the school day – your face was still beaming with excitement! I am so excited for you for this year.

You are teaching me that life never needs to be as serious as old sayings make it sound. My wish for you is that you remember that there is always time to laugh, to be curious and to be excited about the little things in life! That there is always time to be silly, to read one more book, to have one more meaningful conversation. I love you always and forever.