Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Quality Time

Katherine, today was a "spend-time-together-but-not-as-much-as-usual" kind of day.

During the day you were with me at my office, but having a meeting that I could not take you in with me, you hung out with a team member and friend at the office during that time. When I came out of my meeting you were peacefully asleep cuddled up in her arms.... This evening I went out for an event, so it was daddy and baby time and you were already asleep when I got home.

On a day like today I am grateful that you have lots of caring people in your life. I enjoy our times where we hang out together, and the bedtime routine where I read to you and we cuddle up together, but even more than that I feel content knowing that you are happy too cuddling up with a friend for your nap or that you enjoy daddy's nighttime routine... and seeing you sound asleep when I came home was definite proof of that.

You are teaching me that time spent with the people we love is not about the quanity, but the quality. Having a phone call from a friend far away, or coffee with a busy friend in the same town - friendship is not dependent on how often we connect but how much we care when we do. And as for us, we still had lots of great moments to connect; time to cuddle, play and explore the world together... and of course the moment when I heard you cry a little in your sleep after I got home tonight and I raced to your room to give you a hug and a soft kiss good night.