Thursday, February 3, 2011

Authentic Connection

Katherine, last night I went out to my first networking event since you were born. This is something I have done quite regularly before you came into my life, but I haven’t been out to many events in the last few months of my pregnancy… so it has been a while. And of course you had the best baby sitter in for the evening – your dad!
Before I left, I took you upstairs to your room to change your diaper and after the “work part” of this task was done we spend a few minutes hanging out together. You were lying on the change table looking at me, throwing your arms up in the air, having a great time and I was talking to you, laughing, making faces and throwing my arms into the air too. You don’t have words to use yet, but that didn’t matter – we were communicating through fun movements and facial expressions. We were connecting authentically and were present with each other in the moment – it was perfect!
The theme of the networking event was tips on successful business networking and there were 3 experts speaking on the topic – and what they emphasized all evening was to focus on building relationship with the people we network with, rather than focusing on selling them something. Get to know the person and to be really present in conversations – connect with them authentically.
You are teaching me to be fully present when I connect with people. The conversation, the eye contact, the connection is all that matters in that moment. They are worth it and my time and undivided attention is the most valuable gift I can give them.