Saturday, February 12, 2011

Having it All

Katherine, today was a special day for me. I co-facilitated a workshop; the first since you were born. Being back to doing what I love felt amazing, sharing my day in front of the room with another great facilitator and friend, and engaging with a wonderful group of workshop participants.

Katherine and Babysitter Brenda
But what made the day really special was that you were in the room with us. I know it’s highly unusual for a 5-week old baby girl to “attend” a workshop, but you did it anyways. This worked thanks to an amazing friend who had offered to babysit you in the back of the room with the intention of leaving during the day as needed if you would cry or do anything that may disturb the participants. As the day went on, I was amazed to see that she only had to leave with you occasionally for little breaks. Other than that you stayed in the room, sleeping cuddled up in her arms or on a soft blanket (… and of course I was pretending that you were listening to every word we were saying).

You are teaching me what it means to “have it all”. Being a facilitator and a mom, following my passion while seeing you all day truly was a gift. I am also learning that to have it all, I can’t do it alone. I couldn’t have facilitated a full day workshop by myself as my body is still healing, I couldn’t have had you in the back of the room without knowing that you are well taken care of - but I wasn’t doing it alone. And so I get to have it all and I want you to grow up never forgetting that you can “have it all” too.