Thursday, April 7, 2011

Learning New Things

Katherine, oh, you are 3 months old today! As you are learning rapidly about your new world, I can’t get over how much you have taught me in the last weeks and months…

And I don’t just mean those wonderful life lessons which make me smile every day, but I have been able to add some very practical skills to my repertoire of things in life that I can do now. I always thought of myself as a pretty efficient multi-tasker, but I have reached new heights by doing what I am doing with you cuddled up to me (yes, even writing this blog as you are sleeping in my arms right now). One of the skills that stand out to me… diaper changing. I have definitely become a pro at diaper changing – a skill I did not have at all 3 months ago (and I mean I was completely clueless in the beginning, but lots and lots practice over the past months has greatly enhanced my abilities…and you are very committed to this and give Mark and me many opportunities for training, both day and night).

You are teaching me that learning new skills is something I want to do continuously and always (… and yes, that even includes learning how to change a diaper). I know that it will be a long journey of learning as I help you grow up, and I’m sure I will make mistakes along the way…
but be patient with me and let’s giggle together about all the things that don’t go perfectly on the first try.

PS: I love you... always and forever. I know I tell you every day, but today I wanted to make sure I don't just say it, but also write it down for you.