Monday, April 4, 2011

Love of Books

Katherine, you are becoming so much more aware and are just a joy to be around. I love teaching you new things and you are eager to learn. I love reading books to you and even though you can’t even hold the books, let alone read them of course, you keep being captivated by the stories I read to you. We have accumulated quite a nice little library of baby story books. You are fascinated by the sound of the words and I can’t get enough of reading book after book to you again and again. The rhymes make you giggle, the story holds your interest, and best of all we get to spend time together. You now even have your own soft, crinkling book, colourful and complete with a rubbery area you can chew on (ah, who says books are just for reading?).

When I read to you before bedtime, you often fall asleep in my arms. And instead of just putting you to bed right away, I continue our cuddle time and I quietly put your story book aside - and pick up a “grown-up” book; often they are business books or non-fiction books as I love reading of other people who dare to dream big (and follow through with their ideas, letting nothing stop them) … I have bought many books, eager to read them and ready to learn from them, but over the last year or so I found myself always was too busy to actually get started. Yes, I know that sounds ironic – life before you wasn’t nearly as busy as it is now, yet now I find much more time to read than I did before you were born. Let me rephrase that… now I make a choice that I want to read and I therefore I make the time to do so.

You are teaching me that reading is an important part of my life. I used to love to read book after book (and I remember when I was a kid, I often would read long past my bedtime because I got so captivated by the stories), but then someday, quietly, life being life happened and got in the way, and I drifted away from spending hours at a time devouring books. By reading to you, you have rekindled my love for reading and I hope I get to pass this passion on to you and we get to share many moments reading together.