Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Moment in the Sun

Katherine, this morning was a crisp, sunny Okanagan day. Life is busy as always, but this morning I made a choice that it wasn’t too busy to go for a walk. Something I wanted to do for days with you, but we hadn’t gotten around to it for a little while.

Going for a walk is not quite as simple as just sitting you in the stroller as we did in the summer – it’s the season to bundle up before we can get going. Easy for me… thick shoes, warm jacket, gloves and hat… your turn!!! Jacket and thick blanket - no problem, but I had forgotten you don’t like to wear hats. I put them on and you take them off (and no, there is no limit how many times you will try). But today I learned a new trick: put thick gloves on you (which you can’t take off yet) and you can no longer pull your hat off. I have mastered the hat trick (at least for the moment until you will outsmart me soon again).

You are teaching me that some days are about putting fun before work, to take a break for just a moment. Just long enough to smell the crisp air, soak in the sunshine and have lots of giggles along the way. I enjoyed our walk, watching you look at the world around you, following a bird in the air and looking up at me with a red nose and a great smile. Thank you for the moments of sunshine you are giving me.