Friday, February 25, 2011

Serious Silliness

Katherine, last night was your baby shower, organized by very special people in our lives. It was a beautiful evening of friends meeting you for the first time, enjoying delicious party food and a gorgeous pink decorated room. We were given many wishes and blessings for our relationship and our future, enjoyed great conversation and yes, it was also an evening of funny, playful silliness.

Never having been to a baby shower before, I wasn’t sure what to expect and I found myself enjoying every minute of the evening. However, unwrapping the beautiful gifts the guests had so generously brought for you later in the evening, I had no idea that the bows and ribbons would be transformed by crafty (at this point from ear to ear grinning) friends into a hat that I got to proudly wear… and of course the moment was captured on a photo.

You are teaching me not to take myself and life so seriously all the time, that wearing a silly hat at your party is fun and giving me a chance to laugh at myself (I can’t wait until you are old enough to wear silly hats with me). But on a serious note, you are teaching me family is where your heart is. I found myself looking around the circle of friends last night and realized how lucky you and I are to have such an amazing community around us. With your grandmother and other relatives living far away, we get to connect here with a family of friends who I know will have a great influence in your life. And it’s important you’ll remember this as you’ll grow up and will undoubtedly spread your wings and travel one day… good friends will help you grow roots wherever you are in the world and will be there for you when family is far away.